Sunday, August 17, 2008

College Brings The Scriptures TO LIFE

So today was my first sunday at EAC. And because this is the first sunday of the semester all the students met together for a big church meeting so we could devide up wards, meet our bishops and all that business. I walk in and see Bryce Bigham and Jeff Udall. I met up with them after priesthood which here is the first meeting of the day. It felt good to see familliar faces. After priesthood Bryce and I walk into the chapel together where the girls had been in relief society. Instantly we are in a sea of college age girls. I was a tad intimidated because i had only been here three days and didn't know anyone in that room. I look over and Bryce is getting hugs from the three prettest girls in the room!! He has made quick time of finding friends in the two days he had been here. I was angry with Bryce all of sacrament meeting. "For jealously is the rage of a man, therefore he will not spare in the day of vengance"(Proverbs 6:34) Then the stake president stands up and projects a map of town up on the wall. They split us up into wards right there. There is a girls only appartment complex off campus by the science wing called the Goodman appartments. The asked each ward to stand up so they could get a count of the number of people. The had the girls from the Mount Graham Second Ward (my ward) stand up so they could get our head count and i looked around and saw that "out of Zion the perfection of beauty God hath shined" (Psalms 50:2) I was really excited to get to know my fellow ward members. I was ready to fulfill the assignment given to every Elder which is to "watch over the Church...for he that doeth not thse things is not my disciple" (Doctrine and Covenants 52:39)At that point the Bishops and the Stake presidency excused themselves to go over the numbers, pray, and get back to us. We went on with the meeting until they came back in and announced that because the Graham Second Ward (my ward) was the largest they would be taking the Goodmans appartment complex and putting it in First Ward (bryce's ward). They said this decison was made with the spirit and that they had kneeled together and decided that it was the right decision. I had to remind myself that "what I the Lord have spoken, i have spoken, and excuse not myself. And though the heavens and the Earth shall pass away, my word shall not pass away but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants it is the same." (Doctrine and Covenants 1;38) I looked over at my friend Bryce and saw him laughing his gain of my loss and had to remind myself "Wo unto the murderer who delberately kills, for he shall die" (2nd Nephi 9:35) And then i remembered that Bryce doesn't go to church til 1:00 every sunday so on fast sunday he and his ward members will be quite haggard hungry and upset. I took solace in the words of Solomon "It is better to dwell in the wilderness than with a contentious and angry woman" (Proverbs 21:19) It was then I realized that Bryce would be with those tired, hungry, overworked, angry college girls. And I believed it is summed up by Jesus Christ when he said "greater love hath no man for this that a man lay down his life for a friend"

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

You might tell/type a story better than anyone I know! Give Bryce and Jeff a hug from me!!!

Rylee said...

You are funny Racer. Too bad you don't have the cute girls in your ward! They don't know what they'll be missin'! Good luck at school tomorrow!

Chelsee said...

Oh Race what will we do with you? I thought it was funny! thanks for the laugh

Kates said...

You need to be a writter for a living! That was awesome. Funny. I want a full report of your first day!

Race Davis said...

ya i definately am not going to hug them

Smiths said...

Hugs are gross.