Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Dorm

So I am now living in Nellie Lee Hall. If you don't know what that means you probably don't go to the EAC. Its a dorm facility here at Eastern Arizona College that I, Connor Race Davis, live in. If you don't know what that means you must not know me. If that is the case how did you find my blog? I want to know who you are!

Anyway i just moved in today. I was given a key and a pat on the back and sent up the stairs to number 24. As i walked down the cramped hallway i smelled the faint odors of feet, smoke and corn chips. I found my room and opened the ancient white door. Inside it was more spacious than i thought it would be. Two beds. On the bed furthest from me there was a stack of books and a blanket. My roomate had been here, although he wasn't there then. I came inside and put my bag down on my bed. I then began the long and boring task of moving all my stuff from my car. I began with the smallest suit case and my suit. I was walking along the sidewalk. Kuh-Click. Kuh -Click. My rolling suitcase banged on the cracks in the sidewalk. I said to myself. "Don't roll your suitcase like a psycho. Just pick it up." So i did. I carried it almost to the front of the dorm building. A girl saw me and said "Those have wheels for a reason" and smiled and walked off. You can't win them all. Or any of them, sometimes.

I finally got all of my stuff into the room, unpacked and put away. I noticed my roommate still hadn't darkened the door. I glanced over at his desk and bed. All of his stuff was sitting out. It was at this time that i engaged in what some would call 'light snooping'. But hey, i prefer the term 'criminal tresspassing'. Anyhoo i did not actually go through his stuff. I did however glance at his shelf and notice one single item....i was shocked. I forgot to turn in my form to the housing office which had the boxes checked on the columns of: i prefer neatness in a roommate. Preferable of my same religion. Quiet. Mellow. Since that sheet didn't make it in I was expecting alot of things of this mystery roommate. Creepy. Serial Killer. Odors of various intensities. Loud. But i did not expect what i saw on his shelf. It could have been any number of terrible things; Crack pipe, a bloody glove, an ABBA cd. But no it was a......mission pin. Whew. Then i noticed an institute class schedule. Then a book of mormon. Suddenly the room was tossing me hints of a good, solid, RM (returned missionary bye the by) roommate who would get along with me and share standards with me and not be aghast at a Nephi poster.

But then the unkindest cut of all; what if he was not just some crazy guy...but worse.....a crazy mormon?! Those are the worst kind of loonies. The craziest people i know are Mormon (and lunatics) to the core. What if i get a crazy pants, can't find a wife, 34 year old at a 2-year college, psychotic RM roommate? Now i'm in deep!

Now everyone i'd like to tell you that Chris Brown (thats his name), showed up and, whatever kind of guy he turned out to be, i now know weather to sleep with a knife or a teddy bear. But alas he still hasn't shown up. I still continue the mental torture of is he crazy? or is he chill? in my head. I checked in at about 3 and it is now 8:30. Still no sign. Oh well. I suppose i'll meet him sooner or later. As for now i'm sitting on my bed wondering why on earth there are only 2 oultets in this entire room, why the dorm neighbors on my right are shouting so loud, why the guys on my left are listening to rap so loud, and why on earth jello becomes a solid when you cool it down, but when it warms up it doesn't become a liquid again. Higher learning at its best.

4 comments:

Rylee said...

Well, I am glad to hear he is an RM, hopefully not a psycho one. But the older sister in me just wishes you were still at the Platts. You were so safe there. Oh well, I hope you like it and that it goes by fast. And its true, a crazy mormon is the craziest kind of person!

Kathleen said...

I need pictures! Laughed right out loud again by the way! Loved the luggage bit!

Kates said...

I can already tell that this semesters entries are going to be way better than last semester. I can't wait for the next post.......

Chelsee said...

This should be interesting. are you lonely? I didn't worry when you where at the plats, but now I kinda do!