Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ethos Ethos Ethos

So majors are an interesting thing. I mean, when you are majoring in something, you are in the process of accomplishing certain academic goals in order to be officially recognized as having real knowledge in that field.


So when someone says "I'm a nursing major" we should assume that they are in the process of gaining knowledge of medicine. Ya? We shant assume that they know everyting about medicine. Sometimes that is what happens. We assume people know things cause thats what they are majoring in. I use this to my advantage. I have not yet chosen a major so i let this help me. I give myself false ethos. I do this by changing the major i haven't chosen to fit the situation, such as:



  • I was standing in the cafeteria and someone was talking about the poem 'Trees'. Now if you haven't read it you haven't gone through the public school system and if you haven't read it i recomend it. The last line makes me smile. But anyhow someone was attributing it to Robert Frost. Now i'm not an expert on poetry or anything but i'm pretty sure that poem is by Joyce Kilmer. Now i put my 2 cents into my friends conversation and said hey isn't that by Joyce Kilmer? Which it is. "No race its by Robert Frost" "oh sure lets not listen to the British Lit. major in the room". Instant credibility. Boo ya.

  • The cafeteria hangs up signs all the time and they are almost always a complete gramatical nightmare. Every single cafeteria schedule in the school says WEAKENDS. Ya. And there was one that was just a total trainwreck. I was commenting on it out loud and someone called me out on the correction and i was sure i was right so i said "Oh lets just blow off the English major." Ha.
  • My great friend Wendy is running for a student body office. I was recomending to her that she make her signs very simple and use only Red White and Black. "If you put the point across and associate yourself with the name of you office you want and use that color combination your posters will be very effective." This is true. "But race i think funny pictures and stuff would work the best" "sure lets not listen to the Political Science major Wendy". Ka Ching.

Just a brief glimpse into my life at the EAC.

Also i am always cramming for assignments. 80% of this is due to the fact that i put my work off til the last minute. the other 20% is cause i procrastinate. But becuase of that ysterday i sat at a computer for 3 hours straight, compiled 12 sources for a research paper and wrote an annotated bibliography for them. it was rought. i thought my head was going to explode. Then last night i didn't get in til 5:00 a.m. Good times. College times. My body probably kinda hates me today. Now i have to write a 7 page book review on a book i haven't finished for a class that is happening tommorow. Then why am i sitting here typing on a blog? Cause i'm a procrastinating night owl who can't tap dance.

11 comments:

Kates said...

I can't tap dance either...what a bummer. Now about procratinating, I really really really hate it. I drive myself crazy if I don't get things done. I got assignments done usually days or weeks in advance when I was in college and probably got way worse grades, so if it works for you then go for it!

Kathleen said...

Another great post that made me laugh out loud and just in case you were wondering..... any of those majors would be okay with me:)!!!!!

Rylee said...

I'm a procrastinator too! I always did better under pressure. If I knew the assignment wasn't due for 2 weeks, there was no way I'd be able to do it until the last minute. I'm also a night owl like you, well I used to be, until I had kids. :) Glad college is going so well for you!

Karen Martin said...

There's nothing like taking a sharpie to those public signs. It's a great stress reliever. Give it a try. If an old lady were getting mugged, you'd step in. If you saw someone's house on fire, you'd call the fire department. And if there are grammatical nightmares on public display, by golly, they need to be fixed.

-Bryan

Smiths said...

Agree with Bryan. I will say however, that for an English major, your last paragraph had 3 fairly simple spelling errors.

Chelsee said...

You are crazy staying up that late. I have never been able to do that! Good luck with the next paper.

Jayderaid said...

80% cuz I put it off and 20% cuz I procrastinate?! hahahaha a night owl who can't tap dance? hahaha This post made me laugh so so hard! I also work best under pressure. I don't wait till the last minute to do things because I procratinate but because every other munite is being used to accomplish something else! Race you are so funny. Good luck. Also my comments are probably full of errors.. i'm sorry

Tina said...

I'm a proof reader too, Ashley, but I think surely they are typos, not actual spelling errors. Race is waaaaaaay too smart for that. Right, Race?

Markee said...

I bet if you tried to tap dance you totally could! You should just go to school til you have every single of one those degrees you are a genius!

The Tanner and Bryan Experience said...

I don't know who is in charge of the eat place. I just know that they have issues. What with their bad grammar, spelling, and calenderic skill. They need new leadership. Trust me, I'm a Food Service and Small Business Management major.

Linds said...

I pretty much thing you're the greatest. The end.