Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Shoes


Since it is impossible for all of you to be in my shoes, (either at the same time or individually) I feel the need to post about some recent events, situations and other sundry happenings that I think are interesting.

So you will notice that this post has nothing, in fact, to do with my actual shoes.

The first event was a classroom discussion in my Cultural Anthropology class. I like that class about as much as I like gummy worms. And I hate gummy worms.

We are currently discussing sexism, gender roles in a society, racism, discrimination etc. The following is a crude representation of what happened in that class and in my mind (notice the use of capital and lowercase letters) :


Teacher: "What is race?"
My Thoughts: My first thought "Well Race is 6 feet 2 inches of awesome." My second thought "Noun. A biped of the Caucasoid persuasion, possessing great aptitude in the field of making a fool of himself in public situations."

Teacher: "How can race effect our lives?"
MT: "Well it depends on how well you get to know me."

Teacher: "Is there more than one race?"
MT: "My Facebook search seems to indicate that yes, there are many, I have never met another, however."

Teacher: "What does it mean to be a racist?"
Me: "Well considering that a Marxist follows Marx and a Darwinist believes in Darwin, a Racist must be someone who believes in or follows Me. Right?"


As you can imagine this went on for a while in my mind. There is no one who really knows my name in that class. Therefore I am now letting you all know what its like in my shoes. On this same note, I don't pay a lot of attention in Anthropology.

Moving on to my English classes. In Ms. (Dr.) Simonton's class this was one of the take home assignments she gave us. No bull.


"Write a Faulknerian sentence at least 50 words long, using linking words, subordinate clauses, and parenthetical asides."


Now that may sound like gobs of fun to you, but I often leave that class feeling like an idiot. That's what homework feels like in my shoes.

I now have to go do homework. But thanks for stopping by the Colog, ya bunch of Racists! :)

Please leave a comment
(i'm sorta in a competition)

17 comments:

Lora said...

I came very close to being in Dr. Simonton's class and this post makes me think I dodged a bullet.
Best of luck on the assignment, I'm glad I'm not in your shoes... (ha ha o how I love corny comments)

The Tanner and Bryan Experience said...

Well I guess that means Im a racist.
"A biped of the Caucasoid persuasion, possessing great aptitude in the field of making a fool of himself in public situations." -so hilariously true.

Moreover, you said you were in a comments competition. Does that mean our old rivalry has been revived or is there another player in the game?

Kathleen said...

I am definitely a racist. I wish i had been a more serious racist in the gold department!
Great post! You should be a writer!

Kris said...

That was awesome! Glad I'm not the only one who gets distracted and thinks of anything but what the teacher wants us to think about.

Rylee said...

hilarious. i guess i'm a racist too! so funny.

Cassie Heap said...

You hate gummy worms?! sad day. ha! Thanks for the laugh though.

Kelly Marie said...

Race,
I had Dr. Simonton for 218 and let it be known that that is the hardest class I have ever had by far. Hands down. No BYU class will ever beat it. Best of luck.

-Kelly

Mamma Martin said...

Me, too!! I'm a Racist!!

Dalila said...

Dear Race,
I must say that I love ur anecdote on race(Race).Nice shoes...

Sarah said...

is there such thing as an ANTI RACIST? Count me in for that. lol

Sherrod

Lindsay said...

Proud I'm a RACIST!!!!

Chelsee said...

I am feeling a little out of the loop! this post is over a week old..i had no idea. Why didn't I get a text?!!!!

Kates said...

Seriously I am out of the loop too! I guess I just need to start checking more often! Funny funny post! From now on I will think of racist as my little brother.

Curtis Gardner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Curtis Gardner said...

Is the Blan still the Anthropology teacher at EA? She is racist against Mormons...did I just imply that being Mormon was a race...yes, yes I did.

PS: Gila Hank for President

Island pepperpot said...

I am no longer in colledge, to old for that however I enjoyed reading your post just got to ask what's a Racist? I hope you take up writing after school you are good.

Markee said...

This is awesome! I didn't get a text either, but I guess i'll admit it, I'm a racist! :)